Monday, February 1, 2010

Couch to 5K


Well, this is me again! Today I thought I was going to die after my run. In the beginning of January I decided 'enough was enough', I don't want to be obese, I don't want to have to buy my clothes plus-sized, I don't want to send a premature invitation to AARP and I most definitely DON'T want to become a diabetic. So, after thinking about it for a long time (and the extra push from my very supportive group of friends and family) I decided I was going to actually do something about it... YES, I am the CHIEF ARCHITECT of my life!!! One of my great friends talked me into a running program called Couch to 5k, this program has been designed to get just about anyone from the couch (yes, us couch potatoes) to running 3 miles or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks. Its secret is that it's a gentle introduction to getting the body moving, starting off alternating between walking and running small distances, and slowly building up until after 8 weeks, you're ready to run 5 kilometers or 30 minutes non stop.
I have never been a runner and everybody knows I don't enjoy running as much as other types of exercise but what I do like is the idea of doing something out of my comfort zone and challenge myself. So far I have been doing pretty well, today was tough, but I did it and I am so proud of that maybe-insignificant accomplishment. I guess I have to work more on my mind set... I already know I can do it but for some reason my mind tries to tell me I can't. Well, let's see where this journey takes me, so far I am glad to say I have lost 4 lbs. and I am pa pa ra pa pahhhhh LOVING IT, like the Mc Donald's commercial. That's all for now, folks!

3 comments:

  1. y asi te has mantenido, muy bien!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicy! Cuentame, como te va con el programa? I really got inspired about what you wrote and decided to do it for myself as well. I really hope I can stick it out until the end. Take care! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me va muy bien con el programa, ya a las ultimas dos semanas me tuve que quitar porque me estaba dando un dolor en la espinilla que mij'a! pa que te cuento! Todavia sigo corriendo pero no por 20 minutos corridos. Estoy trabajando en intervalos para mantener mi corazon activo y bajar un poco de peso, tu sabes! Me alegra haber sido una energia catalizadora en ti... Te envio mis mas dulces besitos de coco. Cuidate!

    ReplyDelete